THE DURANKO FUND IS MAKING A DIFFERENCE
Some of you have had questions about how the Notre Dame athletics department has spent the money members of the Class have contributed to the Pete Duranko Fund for Student-Athlete Safety over the past two years.
As you know, the Class established the Fund in 2016 as our 50threunion gift to the University. To date, nearly a third of us have donated $209,436 to this good cause. Those dollars have been used to acquire the following tools that enable trainers and team physicians to better diagnose and treat concussions among the school’s 750 varsity athletes:
- C3Logix is an integrated concussion-management system that provides reliable assessments of baseline and post-injury balance, memory function, reaction time, and visual acuity.
- EYE-SNYC is a visual-assessment device that records the eye’s ability to track a moving object, which can be impaired in some concussion cases.
- The Electroencephalogram (EEG) Cap supplies information to personalize concussion treatment with Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS). This FDA-approved tool has been shown to effectively combat depression and neuropathic pain. Student-athletes with sleep issues unmasked or caused by a concussion may also benefit from this technology.
With additional help from the Duranko Fund the athletics department would:
(1) Conduct research on the efficacy of the Q-Collar. This innovative piece of football equipment applies pressure to the neck in order to increase blood volume in the brain to create a cushion that reduces brain slosh within the skull.
(2) Purchase new VCIS football helmets as needed. This protective headgear, which is being worn for the first time this season, features an impact-absorbing outer shell. ND is seeking additional funds to maintain an appropriate supply.
We hope this answers any questions you may have had about how our money has been spent and about how fresh contributions will be used.
If you’d like to support this important initiative going forward you can do so one of two ways, with all gifts made by December 31, 2018 qualifying donors for the 2019 football ticket lottery.
First, you can give online at: giving.nd.edu/Duranko
Or you can send a check payable to the Pete Duranko Fund for Student-Athlete Safety to: Notre Dame Athletics Advancement / 113 Joyce Center /Notre Dame, IN 46556.
Many thanks for your support of the Duranko Fund and your devotion to Notre Dame.
-- Tom Bettag, Minch Lewis, Tom Sullivan, and John Twohey
Members, Class of ’66 Duranko Fund Committee